Saturday, December 29, 2012

New "Primal North" Mayonnaise Recipe

My richest and best tasting mayo yet

Tinker with your Recipe

I am always tinkering with my mayo recipe, I never make it the same twice.  But I feel this is my best yet :)

  • 2 pastured local egg yolks
  • 1 TBSP lemon juice, fresh
  • 1 tsp Braggs Apple Cider Vinegre
  • 1 tsp warm water
  • 1 tsp mustard, dried or wet, of good quality
  • Pinch of pink salt and pepper
  • Some other herbs or spices if you like, I always enjoy roasted red pepper flakes and roasted garlic.
  • 1 1/2 cups of light olive oil of good quality

As always I recommend you beat the yolk well with whatever method (stick blender and deep glass of matching size for me) along with the non-oil ingredients.  Get the yolk a nicely yellow fluff.

Blender, stick blender or food processor or even hand whisk all ingredients but the olive oil into the yolk is nicely whipped up.

Trickle in very very slowly the olive oil ensuring it emulsifies nicely as you go, if it starts to break leave off the olive oil and wait for it to emulsify.   SLOW IS BETTER.

In a traditional blender this will get thick and you will need to stop many times to stir with a spoon and begin again.

Once you have emulsified all the oil you can refridgerate and use at willl for a good 5 to 6 days.

Note, recipe was inspired by this post here when I looked for a technique to use my stick blender.  However the technique as shown failed, and I recommend you drizzle the oil slowly instead.  Not all stick blenders will work the same for emulsifying.  A slow drizzle never fails.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No spam! Just questions or comments and feedback please.